Franklin’s Nationally recognized Dickens of a Christmas will recall the spirit of Christmases past when The Heritage Foundation of Williamson County throws its annual holiday celebration. Set for December 9-10, The Heritage Foundation will bring the historic town to life with the joy and charm of an old-fashioned Victorian Christmas. This year the event marks its 33rd anniversary, and will feature both time-honored activities that have become perennial favorites, as well as a few new traditions in the making.
Much of what folks from Franklin and beyond associate with Dickens of a Christmas will return, including:
- The Heritage Foundation of Williamson, County, the organizers of the event will bring an ice skating rink to the Public Square. They are super excited for this new addition to the festival. The ice skating rink will be open during the festival hours with extended hours on Saturday until 9 p.m.
- The Heritage Foundation will guarantee it will snow on Main Street for Dickens of a Christmas and don’t forget to stop by the 40-foot Christmas Tree on the Public Square for a special photo op. Bring your camera!
- Franklin’s Main Street and its beautiful Victorian architecture decked out for the holiday season and will be closed to vehicle traffic from First Ave. – Fifth Ave.
- Some 200 characters, Flat Creek Dancers, strolling carolers and entertainers will be on the streets, including several from Charles Dickens’s stories interacting with the public. Expect to see the nefarious Fagin from Oliver Twist; Jacob Marley, Ebenezer Scrooge and Tiny Tim Cratchit with his parents from A Christmas Carol; and of course, a Victorian Father and Mother Christmas with treats for children.
- Old Time Demonstrators will demonstrate their craft.
- A variety of musical performances on the Public Square stage and throughout the festival. Special performances by community choir groups will be performing on Sunday.
- Grammy award winning band will perform on the Public Square Saturday at 4 p.m. with a town sing of Christmas carols to follow
- A holiday arts and crafts bazaar featuring more than 150 vendors along Main Street.
- Back by popular demand, Lucky Scruff’s beard contest will be on the Public Stage on Saturday.
- The holiday celebration will conclude with a town sing Sunday at the Historic Presbyterian Church at 4:15 p.m.
Dickens of a Christmas will run from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturday, December 9 (ice skating open until 9 p.m. Saturday), and from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Sunday, December 10. The event is free and open to the public; some attractions will involve a small fee. More information and a schedule of events will be available at www.williamsonheritage.org.
Free and open to the public, Dickens of a Christmas is sponsored by First Citizens National Bank. Others interested in sponsorship opportunities may contact Lynne McAlister, at 615-591-8500 ext. 120.
Producing Dickens of a Christmas is just one of the many activities of The Heritage Foundation of Williamson County. Since 1967 the non-profit group has been dedicated to protecting and preserving Williamson County’s historic, architectural and geographic resources; in short, saving the places that matter.